If you are sitting on the fence about hiring or buying a shipping container, then you may want more information about what your options are before making a final decision. For example, what are the pros and cons of hiring or buying a shipping container? There are plenty of great reasons to buy a shipping container just as there are many great reasons to hire one.
What are the Pros and Cons of Hiring Shipping Containers?
Many people choose to hire a shipping container to use if for a wide range of purposes, many of them temporary. You may not be able to assess what size of container you actually require before you see it placed in the location that you have prepared in advance to store the container. Once your container has been delivered, you will be able to see how much space it takes up, how much space is usable inside of the container and if it meets the purpose you envisioned for it.
Pros to Hiring Shipping Containers
- Shipping containers are available in many different sizes. If you hire a container and it is not the size you need, you can send it back and request a different size.
- You are not obligated to renew your rental term if you decide to return the container at the end of your rental term.
- You can hire a container for a short time to see if it meets your needs. If you decide you want the container on a more permanent basis, you have the option to make a purchase and save money.
- If your need for a shipping container is for a short term, hiring is a good option because when the term ends the company that supplied it will come and pick it up from your location.
- There are many uses for containers and if the container you hire does not meet those needs, you have the option to choose something different.
- You can arrange to examine a wide range of sizes of containers at the supplier before you sign up for a contract to hire a container.
- Signing a longer contract to hire a container can ensure that you save money in the long run.
- You do not have to come up with a lump sum for a container and can pay a monthly amount instead.
- A trial period may be all you require to decide that you need the container on a more permanent basis. You may be able to convert your rental to a purchase if you change your mind and want to own the container you are hiring.
Cons to Hiring Shipping Containers
- You do not own the container, so it has to be returned eventually.
- You may end up paying as much money for the container as you would have if you had just purchased it outright.
- If any damage is done to the container you will be responsible and that will be collected from your damage deposit once your contract has ended.
If you have considered purchasing a shipping container, there are also some pros and cons to container ownership.
Pros to Shipping Container Ownership
- When you own the container, you can customize it any way you like to suit your specific needs.
- You can choose from any size and grade of shipping container.
- Request add-ons to be installed before you take delivery of your container. Most shipping container suppliers are able to customize your container to some degree, but the details vary between suppliers. You will want to check in with the supplier that you use to ensure that you are getting exactly what you want.
- Purchasing a shipping container is a write off if you own a business and need it for a business purpose.
- When you purchase a shipping container it is delivered right to any location that you want.
- You can sell your shipping container at a later date if you decide that you no longer have a use for it. The price that you sell your container for will be very similar to the one that you paid when you purchased it since containers tend to hold their value very well.
Cons to Shipping Container Purchase
- There is no lease, so you cannot return the container to the supplier at the end of your term – however, most shipping container suppliers will be happy to purchase your container back from you since they are in high demand.
- You could get scammed – buy your container from a reputable dealer. One well known scam is when people purchase a container from an online ad and are asked to send payment up front, only to discover that there is no container coming to them.
When you are trying to decide whether to hire or purchase a shipping container, you should contact a reputable shipping container dealer. A company that deals with shipping containers daily in the course of their work will be able to tell you all that there is to now about both hiring and purchasing a shipping container. Most people are not aware of all of the uses for shipping containers, so they can help you with a long list of those as well. It is always best to inform yourself as well as you can so that you are completely protected from possible scams that can separate you from your hard-earned money. There is no reason to have to rush into any purchase. Do your research and your due diligence and decide whether hiring or purchasing is the best option for you before you proceed. Shipping containers are something that are growing in popularity for storage and for outbuildings and are easily transported, so they will never lose their value.